Winners of the International Clarinetist Corona Competition
1st Place: Maxim Solniker (Israel)
2nd Place: Susi Evans (England)
3rd Place: Szilárd Benes (Hungary)
The Klezmer Category of the International Clarinetist Corona Competition is no longer accepting submissions. Please stay tuned for information about the Virtual Event on November 23rd, at which we will announce the three winners!
ICCC — KLEZMER GENRE APPLICATION GUIDELINES
A grassroots effort by clarinetist/teacher Eva Wasserman-Margolis, along with Elizabeth Crawford and Diana Haskell, the International Clarinetist Corona Competition was conceived as a support mechanism for professional clarinetists ages 25-40. We believe this virtual competition will provide hope to those who were financially disenfranchised when the world stopped for COVID-19. Through partnerships with the clarinet world’s top manufacturers, along with internationally-known clarinetist/musicians on our three jury panels, we offer an outlet and hope to those professionals who have lost work.
Clarinetists ages 25 through 40 years of age as of November 23, 2020. Applicants may apply to one of the three categories (Klezmer, Jazz, or Classical) of the Competition.
APPLICATION PROCESS-WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO LIMIT THE NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS
Send an email with the subject “Klezmer Application” to ICCoronaCompetition@gmail.com with the following:
- Your name and age.
- A scan of your legal photo identification such as a state-issued driver’s license/ID card or passport that verifies age and identity.
- A statement that acknowledges what you were doing pre-COVID, the percentage of work lost (must be 50% or greater), and what, if anything you are doing now.
- You will receive a confirmation email from ICCoronaCompetition@gmail.com acknowledging receipt of your application. Upon receipt, you will be sent a disclaimer that must be signed and returned within 24 hours. Failure to do so will result in your application being disqualified.
- Upload your videos as described below.
- Audio only videos will not be accepted.
- Upload your video to YouTube and share the link in your application. Be sure the settings are set to PUBLIC. The video(s) must be close-up so that your fingers and face are visible. Your image should fill the screen as much as possible.
- The picture must remain stationary without the use of multiple cameras.
- You may choose to upload separate video files for each improvisation.
- Any evidence of editing will result in disqualification.
Each video should be titled in the following format: ICCC, Full Name, Title included in the video (e.g. ICCC, Jane Doe, Freilach).
If you choose to include all of your pieces in one video, please label the video as follows: ICCC, Full Name (e.g. ICCC, Jane Doe).
Your video must be made public in order to be adjudicated. It may be used at the sole discretion of the International Clarinetist Corona Competition for marketing purposes with no fees or royalties due to you.
The application deadline is on or before November 11, 2020, 11:59 pm (EST). No late applications accepted.
The top 3 prize-winning performances will be streamed live on November 23, 2020, at 2:00 PM (14:00) EST.
Klezmer repertoire, INSTRUMENTAL non-copyright versions, featuring clarinet solo (Yiddish, Jewish, Israeli)
Approximately 15 minutes of music from:
Any Doina, paired with a fast dance piece
Any Hora paired with a fast dance piece
OR THE EQUIVALENT
Examples of pieces:
Baym Rebin in Palestina
Firn di Mekhutonim Aheym
Baym Rebin’s Sude
OR THE EQUIVALENT
WINNERS & PRIZES:
Three winners from the Klezmer genre will be announced online on November 23, 2020. These winners’ videos will be live-streamed on November 23, 2020, at 8:00 pm (20:00) EST.
- Buffet Crampon: E-13 Clarinet
- Vandoren: clarinet mouthpiece and ligature of choice, 5 boxes of reeds, reed case, and swab.
- Lomax Classic HumidiPro Single Clarinet Case and Cover
- Rovner Platinum Gold ligature
- Reed Geek “Geeklet”
- Clarinetquest $50 Gift Certificate
- Vandoren: 5 boxes of reeds, reed case, swab.
- Lomax Classic HumidiPro Clarinet Reed Case
- BG B3 Klezmer mouthpiece
- Rovner Platinum ligature
- Lisa’s Clarinet Shop: SeriO Bell
- Clarinetquest $25 Gift Certificate
- Vandoren: 5 boxes of reeds.
- Lomax Classic Clarinet Ligature, Classic Swab, and Mouthpiece Swab
- Rovner Versa ligature
- Lisa’s Clarinet Shop: SeriO Barrel
- Clarinetquest $25 Gift Certificate
Disclaimer: This will be sent to you upon receipt of your application via Google Form. You must sign and return the form within 24 hours of receipt of the disclaimer.
- This competition is being organized by people who are deeply concerned about how COVID-19 has affected working professional clarinetists. The intent of the competition is to provide a creative outlet for those who are out of work in an effort to motivate, inspire, and provide hope for the future. Competition organizers, judges, and staff are receiving no compensation in any form, including from the virtual event.
- All prizes will be distributed directly by sponsors; please refrain from contacting the organizers should there be a problem with your prize.
- It is the responsibility of the winners to pay any customs or import fees as well as taxes, as per the import and tax laws of your country.
- Your video(s) must be made public in order to be adjudicated and shared if selected as a winner. The video(s) may be used at the sole discretion for purposes in connection to the International Clarinetist Corona Competition and you waive all claims and fees for any broadcast of your recorded performance, or for any publicity feature in connection with the Competition.
- The decisions of the Jury of the Competition are final and are not subject to question, review, or appeal.
- The Organizing Committee may designate other special prizes and awards for the contestants.
- Participation in the Competition means full agreement with the above rules and conditions.
- We reserve the right to limit the number of applications.